nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Addressing Plans

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:08:40 +1030

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:56:19 -0000
<michael.dillon () bt com> wrote:

    -Do not assign from PoP aggregates

What do you mean with the above? If I understand the line
correctly, then I disagree with it.

I don't mean anything by that, I just quoted it from the
wiki page. If you disgree then you should add something
to the page.

Probably even better, raise the point on the V6OPS working group mailing
list, so that it can be included in the "IPv6 Unicast Address
Assignment Considerations" Internet Draft/future RFC. Addressing
options, and the pros and cons of them are what the draft is about.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon-07.txt

I have a vague memory that this advice was
given in a NANOG presentation on IPv6 but it would not
surprise me if it was a case where one size does not fit all.

PoP aggregates sounds like a good idea to me, but given the
need to meet a certain HD ratio in order to get a larger
RIR allocation, it might be risky for an ISP to do that.
This is one area where the operator environment differs
from the enterprise.

--Michael Dillon

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."