nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:08:10 -0800

First, thanks everyone for the discussion.  I learned more from this than a LOT of other discussions on IPv6.  I now
have a plan and I didn't before...

It looks to me that one really has to know his customer's needs to plan out the allocation of IPv6 space.  That leads
me to believe that a /56 is going to work for everyone on this network because, at this time, only very, very few of
our largest customers might possibly have a need for more than 256 /64 subnets.  In fact, almost all household DSL
customers here only have one LAN and I could get away with /64s for them because they wouldn't know the difference.
But in an effort to simplify the lives of the network folks here I am thinking of a /56 for everyone and a /48 on
request.

Now I just gotta wrap my brain around 4.7x10^21 addresses for each customer.  Absolutely staggering.

scott