nanog mailing list archives

Re: An informal survey... round II

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:26:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, William Herrin wrote:

Why should we announce tiny recycled blocks? If there is a /16 in the
swamp in which half the space is free but its all /24's, why wouldn't
wouldn't we allocate all the free /24's to a single entity and
instruct the entity to announce it as a "holey" /16? The existing /24
holders will override (punch holes in) the /16 for their /24's.

Except when there are /24-holder outages, at which point their traffic gets hijacked by the /16 announcer. Would you want to trust some random company to not take advantage of that situation in any way (collection of passwords, sampling your web traffic, putting up a fake "your org" web site, etc.)? As a holey /16 announcer, would you want all the junk traffic that results from /24-holder outages? What if one of them was running NS's for a popular DNSBL, and their outage basically caused a DDoS attack against your network?

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |