nanog mailing list archives

Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

From: John Kristoff <jtk () ultradns net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:55:16 -0500

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:11:04 -0700
Douglas Otis <dotis () mail-abuse org> wrote:

TCP offers a means to escape UDP related issues.  On the other hand,
blocking TCP may offer the necessary motivation for having these UDP
issues fixed.  After all, only UDP should be required.  When TCP is
designed to readily fail, reliance upon TCP seems questionable.  As
DNSSEC in introduced, TCP could be relied upon in the growing number
of instances where UDP is improperly handled.

As a datapoint I ran some tests against a reasonably diverse and
sizeable TLD zone I work with in another forum.  I queried the name
servers listed in the parent to see if I could successfuly query
them for their corresponding domain name they are configured for
using TCP.  Out of about 9,300 unique name servers I failed to
receive any answer from about 1700 of them.  That is a bit more
than an 18% failure rate.

John