nanog mailing list archives

Re: Content Delivery Networks

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:55:02 -0400

On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:46 PM, John Levine wrote:

Very interesting. We've all heard and probably all passed along that little bromide at one time or another. Is it possible that at one time it was true (even possibly for AOL) but with the rise of CDNs, policies of not honoring
TTL's have fallen by the wayside?

I think you'll still see it in spam zombies, some of which have the DNS info pre-loaded into them in order to avoid split-horizon anti-spam techniques.

Not much we can do about that until we get sufficient backbone to deal
with the zombie problem and its software enablers.

Actually, I think the fact Zombies do not honor TTLs is a feature. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick