nanog mailing list archives

Re: from the academic side of the house

From: Simon Leinen <simon () limmat switch ch>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:55:17 +0200

Steven M Bellovin writes:
Jim Shankland <nanog () shankland org> wrote:

(2) Getting this kind of throughput seems to depend on a fast
physical layer, plus some link-layer help (jumbo packets), plus
careful TCP tuning to deal with the large bandwidth-delay product.
The IP layer sits between the second and third of those three items.
Is there something about IPv6 vs. IPv4 that specifically improves
perfomance on this kind of test?  If so, what is it?

I wonder if the router forward v6 as fast.

In the 10 Gb/s space (sufficient for these records, and I'm not
familiar with 40 Gb/s routers), many if not most of the current gear
handles IPv6 routing lookups "in hardware", just like IPv4 (and MPLS).

For example, the mid-range platform that we use in our backbone
forwards 30 Mpps per forwarding engine, whether based on IPv4
addresses, IPv6 addresses, or MPLS labels.  30 Mpps at 1500-byte
packets corresponds to 360 Gb/s.  So, no sweat.

Routing table lookups(*) are what's most relevant here, because the other
work in forwarding is identical between IPv4 and IPv6.  Again, many
platforms are able to do line-rate forwarding between 10 Gb/s ports.
--
Simon, AS559.
(*) ACLs (access control lists) are also important, but again, newer