nanog mailing list archives

Re: DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:56:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen () unfix org>
Fred Heutte wrote:
I spent a couple hours in a hotel recently trying to untangle why
using the DSL system I could see the net but couldn't get to any
sites other than a few I tried at random like the BBC, Yahoo
and Google.

That's because they are among the few that apparently have
IPv6 enabled web systems.

They don't have "IPv6 enabled web systems", a lot of people
wished that they did. What your problem most likely was, was
a broken DNS server, which, when queried for an AAAA simply
doesn't respond.

In fact, it's one particular vendor (whose name I haven't been able to
discover) of pay-for-Internet transparent proxy/NAT devices, such as those
commonly used in hotels and at hotspots, that's messing the whole thing up.
They return an address of 0.0.0.1 in response to any DNS query from an
IPv6-capable client, and they've decided to train their service providers'
tech support departments to tell customers to turn off v6 rather than fix
what should be a very simple bug.

the STSN devices? or 'ibahn' ? One thing to keep in mind is that the
DNS-LB used by Google/yahoo (in the examples above) seems to be returning
a CNAME for AAAA queries, then nothing for the follow-up resolution
request for a AAAA for the CNAME... So, ipv6 things may look 'broken'
because they are also 'slow' (waiting to re-do much of the lookup path to
get the A version)