nanog mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:42:06 +0200

* Steven M. Bellovin:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:12:43 +0200
Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:

* Steven M. Bellovin:

A few years ago, the IETF was considering various jumbogram options.
As best I recall, that was the official response from the relevant
IEEE folks: "no". They're concerned with backward compatibility.

Gigabit ethernet has already broken backwards compatibility and is
essentially point-to-point, so the old compatibility concerns no
longer apply.  Jumbo frame opt-in could even be controlled with a
protocol above layer 2.

I'm neither attacking nor defending the idea; I'm merely reporting.

I just wanted to point out that the main reason why this couldn't be
done without breaking backwards compatibility is gone (shared physical
medium with unknown and unforeseeable receiver capabilities).

I'll also note that the IETF is very unlikely to challenge IEEE on
this.

It's certainly unwise to do so before PMTUD works without ICMP
support. 8-)