nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blocking mail from bad places

From: "joej" <joej () rocknyou com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:14:45 -0400

Yes, its an SMTP bounce, not a store, try to forward and return.
I should have clarified.

Right.  It also quite an effective way to be sure you never hear from
non-technical users who don't understand your bounce message,
and from people like me who don't feel like jumping through your hoops,
particularly in a case like this where we're responding to a question
you asked.

Yes, unfortunately there are draw backs, I try to make the 550 bounce as
informative as possible, (url link yadayada) but.. With a maillist I see
the responses because I allow email from the network that serves the
maillist server, in this case NANOG (: So...

As needed I add IPs/Netblocks, but like I said very much over kill and
administratively burdening. But the upside is (I think maybe 1) spam email
in the last 3 months. I still get a count on the spam bounces, which have
decreased, month 1=1752 bounces, 2=1292, 3=899. Again not an answer, more
like a campaign..

Just my 2¢s on the whole thing.
Cheers,
-Joe Blanchard

 1) You send bounces from spammers to innocent people, whose
 addresses have been forged.

This is an SMTP reject, not a bounce.  It's a lethal variety of
greylisting.

This technique works great to keep spam out of your mailbox.

3) You are dropping valid emails.

Right.  It also quite an effective way to be sure you never hear from
non-technical users who don't understand your bounce message, and from
people like me who don't feel like jumping through your hoops,
particularly in a case like this where we're responding to a question
you asked.

R's,
John