nanog mailing list archives

RE: [Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

From: <andrew2 () one net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:16:52 -0400

3) What's wrong with treating assignments like property and setting
up a market to buy and sell them? There's plenty of precedent for this:

Mineral rights, mining claims, Oil and gas leases, radio spectrum.
 If a given commodity is truly scarce, nothing works as good as the
free market in encouraging consumers to conserve and make the best use
of it.

I think you're dead-on there, but you forget who you're really trying
to convince.  It'll happen eventually but in the meantime the greybeards
who were
largely responsible for the Internet as we know it (and who by and
large still wield significant influence if not still stewardship) will
be dragged there kicking
and screaming from their academic/pseudo-Marxist ideals, some of whom
seem to still resent the commercialization of the Internet.  It's also
hard to see
the faults in the system when you are insulated by your position as
member of the politburo.

The flip side of the coin of course is that if you let the free
market reign on IP's, you may price developing countries right off the
Internet which I don't think
anyone sees as a desirable outcome.  There's sure to be a happy
middle ground that people smarter than I will figure out, and maybe it
takes a silly lawsuit
such as this to kick things off.

Andrew Cruse

Another somewhat important point is that we also need to conserve
routing entries.  If you make a market for addresses without regard to
routability, you risk
creating a situation where you flood the world with /32's.  No thanks.

Tony

I would think that would tend to police itself.  Even now with things as
they are you're going to have serious reachability problems if you try
to announce anything smaller than a /24.  And if routing tables suddenly
explode, I'd expect that threshold to quickly move in reaction.

Andrew Cruse