nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)]

From: Christopher Chin <cchin () ack Berkeley EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:41:21 -0700
From: Jeremy Chadwick <nanog () jdc parodius com>
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Important ICANN Notice Regarding Your Domain Name(s)]

I receive these sorts-of notices from our OpenSRS-based registrar
numerous times a year (usually once a month, for multiple domains).
It may have something to do with the fact that I refuse to comply
with ICANN's mandatory regulation demanding legitimate public
contact information in WHOIS records.

(If someone wants to hear my reasoning, I'll be more than happy
to share.)

OK... I'll nibble.

I don't think you get this more than anyone else because
of your stance.   But perhaps that will change now that
you've publically declared your resistance.  ;-)

It's incredibly important that there be accurate
contact information for a domain.  If you don't want to
list any one person, for a particular role, you may opt
to use role accounts.  Unless I've misread and
misunderstood the policy, neither the contacts nor the
registrant need be a natural person.  Contacts can be
role accounts and the registrant can certainly be a
legal entity instead of an individual.

Additionally, if you have privacy concerns (which I can
certainly understand and respect), many Registrars offer
proxy contact options for a nominal fee.

 - Christopher