nanog mailing list archives

Re: advise on network security report

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:33:20 -0500

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:02:15 PST, Rick Wesson said:
would it assist if I associated a dollar value for each bot hosted, we
can estimate the number of credit cards stolen per bot and extrapolate
in to something with some zeros on it.

Well.. figure that if you're charging somebody by the megabyte for transit,
there *is* a positive dollar value per bot hosted.

Maybe that's the tactic to take with some of the more bot-infested cable
providers - if they aren't 100% settlement-free, point out the cost savings
at their exchanges if their outbound traffic drops because their bots aren't
spewing.....