nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tier Zero (was Re: Tier 2 - Lease?)

From: "Peter Cohen" <peterattelia () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:48:43 -0400

On 5/4/06, Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn () gmail com> wrote:

On 5/4/06, bmanning () vacation karoshi com <bmanning () vacation karoshi com> wrote:

>         why would anyone do that?
>
> --bill

Some companies feel entitled to charging more for their routes than
they would for simple transit.

aaron.glenn

John:
Hopefully this comes out clearly, as writing can be more confusing
than speaking...
Are you getting at Inter AS /SLA/QOS that you would get from transit
vs. best effort peering?   Even that has some issues, the one that
jumps out to me is hopefully clearly stick figure-diagrammed below:

AS#x $--SLA-->Transit  ok...
But...
AS#x $--SLA-->Transit <-(second hop)--Customers/Peers---No Qos/SLA--->

My point is it is hard to do anything beyond the first AS# for any SLA
that you would be paying, since after that the packet switches to no
money packets on a paid connection, pushing out the issue for things
sent down that pipe...

Peter Cohen