nanog mailing list archives

Re: Italy orders ISPs to block sites

From: md () Linux IT (Marco d'Itri)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 00:02:42 +0100

On Mar 06, Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com> wrote:

It appears that Italy has ordered Italian ISPs to block access to a
number of Internet Gambling sites. It would be interesting to see how
the Italian ISPs are handling this, what with dynamic DNS and all
that...
So far, the method officially recommended by the government entity
involved with collecting the gambling fees has been to create fake
zones on the caching resolvers of the large consumer ISPs.

Operationally, I wonder how many ISPs will bother removing these zones
when the law will be repealed (because there is no chance that it will
stand before the european courts).

From a more practical POV, it can be noted that the obvious methods
useful to bypass the "block" (using a random open proxy or just a random
open resolver) have been widely advertised on gambling forums even
before it was implemented.
Personally I do not believe that the government ever believed that this
would work, it's just a trick to add some extra future earnings to the
2006 budget law.

--
ciao,
Marco