nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:55:41 -0800 (PST)

--- Joe Abley <jabley () isc org> wrote:
I'm just one guy, one ASN, and one content/hosting
network. But I
can tell you that to switch to using shim6 instead
of BGP speaking
would be a complete overhaul of how we do things.

You are not alone in fearing change.

It isn't fearing change to ask the question "it's not
broken today, why should I fix it?"

This is the kind of feedback that the shim6
architects need. There is
talk at present of whether the protocol needs to be
able to
accommodate a site-policy middlebox function to
enforce site policy
in the event that host behaviour needs to be
controlled. The scope of
that policy mediation function depends strongly on
people like you
saying "at a high level, this is the kind of
decision I am not happy
with the hosts making".

Resounding YES - I specifically DON'T want end-hosts
to be able to make these decisions, but need to be
able to multihome.

We deal with long lived TCP sessions (hours/days).
I don't see how
routing updates can happen that won't result in a
disconnect/
reconnect, which isn't acceptable.

One of the primary objectives of shim6 is to provide
session
survivability over re-homing events. Since routing
protocols are not
used to manage re-homing, the speed at which a
session can recover
from a topological event depends on the operation of
the shim6
protocol between client and server.

It seems reasonable to say that in some cases shim6
re-homing
transitions will be faster than the equivalent
routing transition in
v4; in other cases it will be shorter. Depends on
the network, and
how enthusiastically you flap, perhaps.

A - X - Y - B
  \ |  \ | /
    W  - Z

A and B are hosts, W-Z are ISPs

On what basis would you say that in the event of a
network outage in Y, communication between A and B
will be faster than the routing transition?

The experience of people who provide services
involving long-held TCP
sessions is exactly the kind of thing that the shim6
architects need
to hear about.

We have peering arrangements with about 120 ASNs.
How do we mix BGP
IPv6 peering and Shim6 for transit?

You advertise all your PA netblocks to all your
peers.

And maintain 120 different context tables on each
host?  ouch.  I'm guessing that server vendors are
going to be quite happy with this.

You avoid it completely, and use PA space in every
POP. You can still
announce PA space from other POPs to peers, if you
want to retain
your tunnels.

Wait a second - doesn't that deaggregation bring back
the "lots of small routes" business which the whole v6
hierarchical addressing model was supposed to fix?  If
we're in the world of deaggregates anyway, why not
just ditch the addressing model instead of accepting
its limitations in this way?

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: