nanog mailing list archives

Re: managing mycompany.{all iso TLD + icann TLD) ?

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:35:26 -0700

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

Someone's possesion of a domain name contining a string you have a
trademark on *in one specific line of business* *does not constitute an
infringement of your trademark*.

Unless they *use it* *in conjunction with a product or service name*
*in the appropriate line of business* *in a jurisdiction where you hold
trademark rights*, they're not infringing you, and registering the
string in 435 TLD's just to make sure they can't is the worst kind of
stupid.

If I can borrow from Randy, I encourage my competitors (and more importantly
the competitors of my clients) to operate in the manner you describe.

Doug

--

        If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough