nanog mailing list archives

RE: Net Neutrality Legislative Proposal

From: "Joseph Jackson" <JJackson () aninetworks com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:51:20 -0700

Behalf Of Florian Weimer
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:58 AM
To: Mark Newton
Cc: Seth Johnson; nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: Net Neutrality Legislative Proposal

* Mark Newton:

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 09:39:50AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

 > * Mark Newton:
 > > On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 07:58:48AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
 > >  > (I've wondered for quite some time if "net
neutrality" implies
that  > >  > Ebay or Google must carry third party traffic on their
corporate  > >  > networks, by the way.)  > > eBay and
Google aren't
selling transit.

 > Neither is your local cable company. 8-)

Eh?  Of course they are.  They're selling transit to their
cable modem
customers, surely?

Quote from a typical terms of service agreement:

| (b) Subscriber will not resell the Service, or any portion
thereof, or
| otherwise charge others to use the Service, or any portion thereof.
| The Service is for personal use only, and Subscriber agrees
not to use
| the Service for operation as an Internet Service Provider,
to host web
| sites for other parties or for any other business enterprise or to
| connect the Cable modem to any server or to any computer outside of
| the Subscriber's premises.
|
| (c) Without Time Warner Cable 's prior written approval, Subscriber
| shall not post or transmit through the Service any material that
| constitutes or contains advertising or any solicitation
with respect
| to products or services, nor shall Subscriber transmit bulk e-mail
| without prior written permission from Time Warner Cable.

IP transit has no such restrictions.

We currently buy ip transit service from Cox Cable.   You can also get a
buisness cable modem service from them and resell transit on it.  Tho
this might only apply to the Las Vegas market.