nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fanless x86 Server Recommendations

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:29:32 +0200

* Mike Tancsa:

Many mini-itx boxes dont have 2 PCI slots.  You might be better going
with a mini-itx solution and then use a small switch and trunk the NIC
to act as a VLAN router.

Are there any fanless routers with proper 802.1Q support (with ingress
VLAN tag filtering, for instance)?

Not sure exactly what you mean by vlan tag filtering and if you mean
OSes based on i386 mini-itx boxes or all fanless routers in
general.

Uhm, I should really clarify that I should have written "switches"
instead of "routers".  I hope the tag filtering make more sense in
this context. 8-)

I'd be interested in something that offers more than four Ethernet
plugs per PCI slot, and the only way I know to get that are switches.
But those with 802.1Q tagging and proper VLAN separation are all
rather noisy.