nanog mailing list archives

Re: is this like a peering war somehow?

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:29:53 +0000 (UTC)

<Michael.Dillon () btradianz com> wrote:
[...]
But it's no magic bullet. Streaming live media also requires low
jitter, especially if you are selling it as TV because viewers will
join and leave channels often, as they change channels on their
remote controls. This means you can't have big local buffers to hide
jitter, therefore you have to build a network with enough capacity
so that packets are all cut-through switched.

I observe about 3-4 seconds of latency on the UK DVB-T and DAB
broadcasts anyway compared to analogue. Cost-cutting on CPU grunt in
decoder boxes can mean it takes up to ten seconds to change channel.

In contrast, streaming video and audio from iTMS starts to play a lot
quicker. It sounds like the problems with jitter and latency over
private IP networks is overstated if it still works fine over the
Internet.

(FWIW, this is on 1Mb/s ADSL that is 170ms from www.apple.com.)

--
My mother protected me from the world and my father threatened me with it.
                                                                - Quentin Crisp