nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 rides again (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

From: "Per Heldal" <heldal () eml cc>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:14:03 +0100

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:56:51 +0000 (GMT), "Edward B. DREGER"
<eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net> said:
[snip]
Per, I'd like to take exception with your "exclude small companies"
remark.  This thread is about tighter engineering and ops involvement,
so why shoot down those who have the two tightly coupled?  Why eschew
people who work both sides of the fence?

Sorry, the following sentence came out all wrong due to last minute
cutnpaste:
  Most nanog'ers, with the exception of those
  representing small companies which don't
  separate engineering from operations, belong
  in the engineering category anyway.

...quite the opposite of what I ment to say. Most nanog'ers work in
engineering. The problem is a lack of ops-people turning these
xOG-groups ito xEG-groups instead.

PS! I prefer tight integration of operations and engineering. I'd say
it's good for engineering-staff to do ops-work from time to time (eat
their own dog food;). Organisations that practise job-rotation generally
have the better solutions.

//per
--
  Per Heldal