nanog mailing list archives

Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:02:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Andy Davidson wrote:

RIPE will be accepting requests for 32-bit ASNs from 1/1/07,
according to an email to ncc-services two weeks ago.  It does not
feel too early to start to understand what we must do to as a
community to guarantee ubiquity of reachable networks.

So, all of the current devices need to get upgraded before 'day one' of
32-bit ASN use... that'll be fun :) Why is RIPE passing out the 32-bit
ASN's now? aren't there still plenty (+20k or so) 16-bit ASN's out there
for assignment? (perhaps I'm missing something on the need to allocate the
new asn's?)

There were no definitive answers when John Payne asked on the list
about images supporting 32 bit as numbers - are any independent
bodies going to setup a route behind a 32-bit ASN so that we can
start public reachability testing ?

Given a 32-bit ASN I'd be happy to upgrade code on a connected device and
announce a route... of course I'm not sure my upstream will do the right
thing with the announcement since it doesn't know (probably) about 32-bit
asn's...