nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spain was offline

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:44:54 -0400

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:03:38 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:30:37 BST, Peter Corlett said:

OTOH, I can believe that somebody broke a Perl script critical to it
and it rolled out a valid, but empty, zonefile which the secondaries
faithfully replicated. Not that I've watched cascading DNS failures
at too many places with bits of crufty Perl, oh no...

ISTR some database extract failing in a new and unusual way a few years
ago, and about 1/3 of the entire .com domain evaporolated for several hours....

This is an old, old story -- such failures have been with us for a long
time.  Not all that many years ago, the entire (US) 800 number system was
down for a similar reason -- the program that populated the production
database from the back end master copies hiccupped, and things got *very*
confused.

For many more stories like this, see the archives of the RISKS Digest
(http://www.risks.org).