nanog mailing list archives

Re: XO Peering

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:47:30 -0400

Does anyone know what is going on with XO and their peering?  My XO
circuit is taking weird paths to other carriers, and
internethealthreport.com shows elevated latency on all of their links.

Latency looks fine - Network availability is pretty pathetic. I can
route out our XO pipe fine, although there isn't a whole lot on it. I
can't make mtr do anything funky that would indicate a problem with XO
so I could open a ticket.

Does anyone else miss the good old days when nanog readers/attendees knew
why pinging the routers you saw in a traceroute directly was not an
accurate measurement of anything?

How about when people used diagnostic tools that told you more than "oh
crap 91ms from *somewhere* on xo to *somewhere* on xo, omgrotfwtflolz the
square is red and I'm pinging 10 quick post to nanog!"?

Anyone? I think maybe we should all take a moment to hang our heads in
shame.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras