nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 traffic numbers [was: Re: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:21:29 -0400

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:59:00 +0200
 Simon Leinen <simon () limmat switch ch> wrote:
[CC'ing Stanislav Shalunov, who does the Internet2 weekly reports.]

Marshall Eubanks writes, in response to Jordi's "8% IPv6" anecdote:
These estimates seem way high and need support. Here is a counter-example.

Simon is correct. The numbers I quoted were for protocol 41 traffic,
and presumably more IPv6 is "hidden in plain sight" on the Internet 2
backbone.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards
Marshall

While I'm also skeptical about the representativeness of Jordi's
estimates, this is a bad counterexample (see below about why):

Netflow on Internet 2 for last week

http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/20050829/

has 6.299 Gigabytes being sent by IPv6, out of a total 383.2
Terabytes, or 0.0016% This is backbone traffic, and would not catch
intra-Campus traffic, nor would it catch tunnel or VPN traffic,
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^        ^^^^^^^

Wrong.  What you see here is ONLY tunnel traffic, because the number
is for IPv6-in-IPv4 (IP protocol 41) traffic.

Netflow for IPv6 isn't widely used yet.  Our own equipment doesn't
support it, and I don't think the Junipers used in Abilene do, either
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

but it is suggestive.

Yes, but it's also irrelevant, because Abilene has native IPv6, so
there is little incentive for sending IPv6 tunneled in IPv4.

According to the graph
http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/longit/perc-protocols41-octets.png
the most I2 IPv6 traffic was in  2002, when it was almost 0.6% of the total.

I would assume that that was before IPv6 went native on Abilene.

It is hard for me to imagine that the situation for commerical US
traffic is much different.

I'm sure there's less
There may be similar statistics for Geant - I would be interested to
see them.

I'll look up the GEANT numbers in a minute, stay tuned.
--
Simon.