nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 news

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:04:16 -0400

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:28:19AM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
While I do not necessarily disagree with this point of view (as I work
for a company who uses allocated space in such a manner), others may
argue that addresses that are assigned through the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority (that's Internet with the "I") are meant for Internet,
with an "I," use. As it says at the top of their web page, "Dedicated
to preserving the central coordinating functions of the global Internet
for the public good." Note, "global Internet."

And what happens when a non-connected internet starts connecting to the
public Internet?  Even if it's through a single-layered proxy?

Better to use non-conflicting IP addresses to start off with.  Trying to
do this with self-issued IP addresses has caused problems more than
once.  [Yah, "this is what RFC 1918 is for", but what if two RFC 1918
networks connect?]

--
Joe Yao