nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent move without renumbering

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:10:32 -0400

William Allen Simpson wrote:
However, we should assist everybody without an AS and at least /24 to
move to Cogent without renumbering.  That means the blocks should be
reassigned.  That requires registry assistance.

To avoid routing table explosion, we probably need to identify adjacent
blocks and encourage them to move to Cogent, too.

It seems to me that the recent discussion between Leo Bicknell and Lamar Owen is relevant. A network partition affecting hundreds of thousands
(millions according to the Boston Globe article) is closely akin to a
natural disaster.  In this case, an _unnatural_ disaster.

I remember presenting a paper at IETF over a decade ago about assigning
IP addresses to exchanges instead of carriers.  That would allow rapid
failover, and promote competition.

Therefore, I propose that we identify those ISPs moving from Level3 to
Cogent that are also connected to an *IX.  The IP block should be
reassigned by the registry to the IX.

We should encourage everybody else moving that requires a circuit change
to connect to an IX where Cogent is present.

That should help routing tables immensely!

--
William Allen Simpson