nanog mailing list archives

Re: IAB and "private" numbering

From: Michael.Dillon () btradianz com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:46:01 +0000

   what is this "the" public routing table?  where does one
   get it?  in my 25 years of networking I have NEVER seen it.
   i am convinced that it is a fictional as the "public" Internet.
   or the "DFZ" ... they do not exist, except in the fevered
   imaginations of marketing droids... and the virus is more virulent
   than the H5N1 strain.  Note that it affects normally sane engineers
   who KNOW better.

I think that many, many people make the assumption that a service
like RouteViews or RIS holds "the" global routing table because
they peer widely in all regions to collect the data.

   IMHO, assigning globally unique prefixes to those who utilize IP
   protocols, regardsless of whom else they choose to "see" via routing
   is the right course.  every other attempt to split the assignements
   into "us" vs. "them" has had less than satisfactory results.

I think that many people make the assumption that IP
addresses can only be used on the Internet because they
learned that IP stands for Internet Protocol.

--Michael Dillon