nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Latest draft of Internet regulation bill]

From: Christian Kuhtz <kuhtzch () corp earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:35:37 -0500

On Nov 10, 2005, at 11:25 PM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

most likely... and video-on-demand sorts of things seem like the next
problem child for bandwidth on the local link. (atleast in the short term)

That's what I believe, too. And along with that, we have people hungry for incremental revenue to pay for infrastructure upgrades and go beyond the 'little Cu wire that could' *cough*. To me, those are fundamentally incompatible business models.. so, it'll be interesting to see how that one shakes out.

is part of a general trend, unless this industry has reached a mature
plateau.  (which would be very sad, imho).

just wait for ipv6 and toasters with webservers! :)

You realize that spelling out that 4 letter (well, 3+1) word on nanog is like screaming fire in a crowded theatre, followed by no less than 2 wks of debate over the merits of multihomed toasters. ;-) We all desperately need multipathing to ascertain the burntness of one's pop tarts.

Actually, as
more things get a network stack I imagine more interconnection will occur
requiring more bandwidth and taxing the infrastructure even more :)

Yes. That is very true. And question is what will happen with liability once even more clue exempt manufacturers will enter the ring. Capitol hill seems hell bent on wanting to tag ISPs (or BITS! *groan*) with that liability.

Somehow, it feels like the wild west days are over. Or am I just getting old? I think when inet turns into a pstn regime, I'll switch to basket weaving.

Best regards,
Christian