nanog mailing list archives

Re: classful routes redux

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:05:43 -0500

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:33:30PM +0100, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:
At 11:57 07/11/2005, Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
What about those that are assigned and used but not [currently] visible
on the public Internet [i.e., are on other internets]?

Indeed!

On Henk's slide number 5 he states:

"Each AS wants to be able to send traffic to any other AS"

This is NOT true. Many ASes explicitly do *NOT*
want to send traffic to any other AS. They only want
to send traffic to customers, vendors or business
partners of some sort.

You are right, but this was not the point I was trying to make on
this slide.

The point I was trying to make is: A site is assigned an AS if it has a
network that is connected to the global Internet and wants to send
traffic somewhere.  (If not, why bother to get an AS?)  ...

Because it is connected to a DIFFERENT internet and wants to send
traffic somewhere.

My point was that the slide makes it sound like it covers ALL ASNs [as
does your text, above], and there is AT LEAST one other possibility.

--
Joe Yao