nanog mailing list archives

Re: classful routes redux

From: Paul Jakma <paul () clubi ie>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 06:49:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

er.. would this be a poor characterization of the IPv6 addressing architecture which is encouraged by the IETF and the various RIR members?

        class A ==  /32
        class B ==  /48
        class C ==  /56
        hostroute == /64

It's quite arbitrary though, unlike the old classful IPv4 divisions - a matter of policy, not technology. The allocation sizes can and do vary over both time (as policy changes, IIRC RIPE used to assign /35s iirc, now it's /32) and between different RIRs.

A hostroute is /128 btw. ;)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      paul () clubi ie        paul () jakma org       Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: