nanog mailing list archives

Re: Underscores in host names

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:55:39 +0000

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:45:31AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:47:09AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
At 3:39 PM +1000 2005-05-19, Mark Andrews wrote:
  Any tld that thinks this will ever work reliably need their
  heads read.  There was a good reason all the unqualified
  hosts got moved into .ARPA.  Single label hosts do not work
  well on a global scale.

    No, they don't, but .ws and .gw are not going to be the only ones
doing this kind of thing, and this problem won't go away unless
something is done to expressly prohibit this kind of behaviour.

Perhaps I left my program in the men's room, but wasn't the point of
this thread that "something has already been done to prohibit this"?
IE: 2821 says that's an invalid address?

        er... RFC 2821 was published -after- this was an established
        practice.

--bill

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
Designer                       Internetworking                        RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me