nanog mailing list archives

Re: google.com outage?

From: Simon Waters <simonw () zynet net>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:34:59 +0100

On Monday 09 May 2005 6:46 am, Paul Vixie wrote:
-- Chris Keladis <chris () cmc optus net au> wrote:

Just a guess, but perhaps with www.google.com returning NXDOMAIN the
gethostby* functions tried variations and ended up resolving sites like
www.google.com.net which inadvertantly sent people to the spoof site.

Seems plausible to me, anyway.

not to me.  RFC 1535 is VERY widely deployed, perhaps even universally so.

I doubt it is universally so, as I think old versions of Windows did something
similar in the 4.8.3 resolver, and they are still out there. Software takes a
long time to die.

However a lot of people saw the search engine "sogo" because their browser
asked for www.google.com.net when it found www.Google.com didn't exist, and
this is caught by a wildcard (allegedly). Although my quick inspection
suggests that the DNS for these domains is very badly mangled, BIND 9 does
somehow manage to get an IP address out of the mess it finds.