nanog mailing list archives

Re: [dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:03:12 -0400

On May 3, 2005, at 5:50 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

This was Vixie's last post on the subject of Anycast on DNSOP.

NB: Patrick Gilmore and Chris Morrow, note that Vixie agrees that HTTP
anycast is a bad idea.

Reasonable people can disagree. I think Paul is reasonable, I hope he thinks I am reasonable. We disagree. Doesn't mean I won't buy him a drink at the next NANOG. :-)

Tell you what, if you come to Seattle, I will buy you a drink too, just to smooth things over. Maybe we can agree to disagree, reasonably.

Also, whether Paul thinks it is a bad idea, or even if it really is a bad idea, that does not change the fact it was in wide use in the past, and probably still is used by many people without any serious problems.

NB [translation, "operational content"]: Akamai does not use any anycast for HTTP. I am not at all certain why Paul is telling us this is a bad idea, since we don't do it. Then again, we might in the future, I am not privy to every decision in the company. (No, that is not a "hint", I really do not think we will do anycast HTTP for content delivery, but I also really do not know everything we will do in the future.)

Either way, Paul's advice is always welcome, even if we don't listen sometimes. =)

--
TTFN,
patrick