nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC To Require 911 for VoIP

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:34:16 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 06:12:25PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
I submit that I don't necessarily want my communications device or my
location tracked at all times by the government.  My point is not the
need for location, but, that it is impractical to reliably implement
the traditional 911 model for VOIP.

The traditional 911 model depends on being able to make determination
of at least a roughly correct 911 service provider based on connection
point.  (Cell site, telco central office, service location, etc.).

None of these are available for many VOIP services.  I think that if
the focus were on delivering 911 service for fixed-location VOIP
systems, it would make much more sense.  However, the FCC, so far,
does not seem to understand that this distinction is possible or
relevant.

How about an anycast address implement(ed|able) by every network
provider that would return a zipcode?

$ telnet 10.255.255.254
Connected
33709
Disconnected.
$

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me