nanog mailing list archives

RE: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

From: "Howard, W. Lee" <L.Howard () stanleyassociates com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:59:38 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Jared Mauch
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:06 PM
To: Paul Vixie
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:32:33PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
      What i've done is rate-limit TCP inbound to be around
75-80% of the link speed to force things to back-off and
leave space for my UDP packet streams.

      I think one of the major problems is that very few
people know how to, or are capable of sending larger g711
frames (at increased delay, but more data per packet) because
they can't set these more granular settings on their
systems.. this means you have a lot higher pps rates which I
think is the problem with the radio gear, it's just not
designed for high pps rates..

That's interesting. . . where's the intersection of the packet
size curve and the latency curve?  I mean, where would you set
it, and can you offset some of that with fragmentation and
intervleaving?

I'm outside of that "very few people," but I could imagine
wanting dynamic control--one packet size (latency) for a certain
calling plan (calls within the LAN, maybe even to anywhere on
my network if I control end-to-end QoS, and local calls) but
another for long distance.

      - jared

Lee