nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:02:06 -0800

On the other hand, there are a lot of reasons why a DNS operator may
return different answers to their own users of their resolvers.  Reverse
proxy caching is very common. Just about all WiFi folks use cripple
DNS as part of their log on. Or my favorite, quarantining infected
computers to get the attention of their owners.

sean, solving a layer two problem (mac address) at layer four will bite
you in the long run.

Thank $DEITY for large ISPs running open resolvers on fat pipes ..
those do come in quite handy in a resolv.conf sometimes, when I run
into this sort of behavior.

problem is many walled garden providers, e.g. t-mo, block 53.

randy