nanog mailing list archives

Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

From: Rachael Treu <rara () navigo com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:14:09 -0600

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:03:17AM -0800, Roy said something to the effect of:

CNET's extract is wrong.

The article states

The measure, SB 260, says: "Upon request by a consumer, a service
provider may not transmit material from a content provider site listed
on the adult content registry."

Isn't that demanding that an ISP provide, free of
charge, a managed firewall service?

I might be expecting too much, but wouldn't it
stand to reason that link-chasing and downloading
inherently constitute a request *to* receive content?

At the risk of sounding like a proponent for public
indecency <snicker> if Junior or Hubby or Wifey or
whomever is hoarding porn and "must be
protected/stopped/brought back into the fold", I
don't think it's really the responsibility of the
ISP to care.

Note to Utah (tm)*: the pervasion of perversion is
nigh!  ;)  Buy a firewall and keep an eye on your
kids.  Neither the schools nor the ISPs are meant to
raise them.

bah,
--ra

*UT is OK with me.  The disgruntled ramblings in here
refer only to those whining to the ISPs to save them
from their own Internet connection.

Its entirely voluntary on the part of the consumer.

Roy Engehausen

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

C|Net:

"Utah's governor signed a bill on Monday that would
require Internet providers to block Web sites deemed
pornographic and could also target e-mail providers
and search engines."

http://news.com.com/Utah+governor+signs+Net-porn+bill/2100-1028_3-5629067.html?tag=nefd.top

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP                            rara () navigo com
                 ..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..