nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is current DDoS detecting method effective?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:07:27 +0100

* Jared Mauch:

      If you want some "basic" detection, I recommend doing something
like this:

      sort by the top "proto+dstip+dstport+tcpflags"
combination.  The more of these you see, the more it may
look weird.

You should also run a similar query for source IPs in your netblocks,
particularly one restricted to 25/TCP. 8->

      Cisco publishes the netflow datagram specification, so
you may be able to write an optimized netflow daemon that doesn't
take up too much cpu/disk/whatnot if you discard the lower
levels of the "noise".

I wouldn't optimize prematurely.  I was surprised how far you can get
with simple Perl script, a slightly increased socket buffer size for
the receiving UDP socket, and rotating ASCII log files.