nanog mailing list archives

Re: More on Vonage service disruptions...

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:17:29 +0100

* tls () netbsd org (Thor Lancelot Simon) [Thu 03 Mar 2005, 23:01 CET]:
On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:46:05AM -0600, Church, Chuck wrote:
Another thing for an ISP considering blocking VoIP is the fact that
you're cutting off people's access to 911.  That alone has got to have
some tough legal ramifications.  I can tell you that if my ISP started
blocking my Vonage, my next cell phone call would be my attorney...
Why?  Do you have a binding legal agreement with your ISP that requires
them to pass all traffic?  Do you really think you can make a
persuasive case that you have an implicit agreement to that effect?

Why, yes, an agreement for Internet access.  The end-to-end principle is
considered an integral part of the design (and power) of the Internet.

Kindergarten ISPs exist but I do not buy from them.  And the verbiage in
the contract is that the ISP doesn't guarantee access but will do its
best to provide and keep offering such.

The 911 issue is a tremendous red herring.  In fact, it's more of a
red halibut, or perhaps a red whale.  Vonage fought tooth-and-nail

... and then you spend two entire pages derailing the debate towards
emergency services.  Thanks!

Any provider intentionally causing deterioration of network performance
towards a competitor's service offering is engaging in anticompetitive
behaviour.  This may be merely bad or legally suicidal.

        -- Niels.

--
                              The idle mind is the devil's playground