nanog mailing list archives

Re: Boing Boing: Michael Lynn's controversial Cisco security presentat ion

From: Daniel Golding <dgolding () burtongroup com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:06:07 -0400

On 7/29/05 12:56 PM, "John C. A. Bambenek" <bambenek () gmail com> wrote:

Remind me why I bother with information security when industry and the
government seems to want to ensure things can be pwn3d as easily as
possible...

If the "digital pearl harbor" does come to pass, this won't be remembered as
a shining hour for Cisco, ISS, Homeland Security (which is also in the mix),
or the FBI.

I hope the leadership at Cisco reflects on this incident and will utilize
different tactics the next time this happens. Similarly, I hope the
cybersecurity folks in our governments realize that, while a strong
relationship with vendors is essential, they must recognize that vendors
have different goals than they do.

The FBI raiding Lynn's house over a commercial dispute is too reminiscent of
Cryptonomicon for me.

- Dan