nanog mailing list archives

Re: 911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:55:43 +0000 (UTC)

John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:
[...]
Given that we're talking about cell phones, it seems completely
likely. Cell phones present the dialed number as a block, so there's
no ambiguity between 911 and 911XXXXX. I don't know whether UK cell
carriers map 911 to 112, but there's no technical reason they can't
do so.

If people expect 911 to work on mobile phones, they will also expect
it to work on the PSTN.

<rant> And why should the UK change its numbering system just because
a few dumb Yanks who can't be bothered to learn local customs? Does
999 get through to the emergency services in the NANP? Does 112 work
on non-GSM phones? How about Australia's 000? </rant>

I agree that for VoIP using normal phones through adapters, 911 in
the UK won't work.

ATAs usually collect digits to send as a block as well, either with
the user explicitly dialling # after the number, or implicitly after a
timeout. At least that's what I see with Cisco ATA-186, 7940 and 7960
and the Sipura 2000 I've tested.

--
It can't go any lower? Last time I checked, the minimum value of a traded
security is $0.00.