nanog mailing list archives

RE: ATT CDPD

From: "Kuhtz, Christian" <christian.kuhtz () bellsouth com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:57:46 -0500

AT&T doesn't use CDMA... so they wouldn't be running 1xRTT. EDGE,
perhaps?

Yes.  AT&T also announced plans to get into the next layer,
UMTS, which uses the concept of code division multiple access
(CDMA), but isn't the same as Quallcomm CDMA
(IS-95/IS-2000/CDMA2000).  I don't know offhand which of the
GSM-core technologies are/will be deployed by them at this
time, as they aren't the carrier I currently use.

(To my knowledge, however, AT&T does offer GPRS, which is
slow, but if using at least two timeslots, still faster than
IS-95 CDMA non-1X data.  8-)

Actually, you should be able to get EDGE from T or its new parent. It
has been productized for a while.

Thanks,
Christian

--
"Sometimes a phone is just a phone."

*****
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 162