nanog mailing list archives

Re: E-Mail authentication fight looming: Microsoft pushing Sender ID

From: Todd Vierling <tv () duh org>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:59:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 trainier () kalsec com wrote:

The second issue with boycotting, is the false positives.

No, the *point* of the boycott is the "false positives".  ISPs *will* react
when their general users find themselves unable to send e-mail because the
entire netspace of the offending ISP is blocked (boycotted).

Blocking only a small subset of an offending ISP, in order to isolate the
block to only the downstream spammer, is not a boycott; it's looking the
other way.

(I may believe in the principles here, mind you, but I'm far to small to
make a point.  A workable net-boycott absolutely requires that action be
taken by a non-castrated 800lb gorilla.)