nanog mailing list archives

Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

From: Daniel Roesen <dr () cluenet de>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 01:26:49 +0200

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:52:35AM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
Multihomed end sites usually get away with receiving only default route
or some partial routes from their upstreams. So technically you can
BGP multihome with Cisco 1600 or even smaller easily (dunno where BGP
support is starting to become available).

Technically yes, practically no.  At least not for the purposes people
normally want to multihome.

I cannot confirm this observation from my experience supporting a number
of customers with their multihoming setups that I've either designed
myself or supported as part of "managed internet access" solutions.

I _did_ see several badly designed setups though that had full tables
(and associated hardware overkill) but didn't need it. Consequence:
wasted money, worse convergence times and routers falling over because
of RAM depletion and fragmentation over time.

Regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr () cluenet de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0