nanog mailing list archives

Re: Please Check Filters - BOGON Filtering IP Space 72.14.128.0/19

From: Rodney Dunn <rodunn () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:08:34 -0500

I will check on this and get back with
you.

Rodney

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:18:10AM -0500, Joe Maimon wrote:

David Barak wrote:

--- Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
wrote:

David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com> wrote:

While it says that bogon filters change, and

provides

a URL to check it, what percentage of folks who

would

use a feature like "autosecure" would ever update
their filters?

What do they do to update that bogon list anyway -
push a new IOS image?

That's a mighty fine question: the link I referenced
is the most recent I was able to find, and its list of
bogons is thoroughly out-of-date.  In the interest of
long-term reachability, I would call on Cisco to
remove the IANA-UNASSIGNED blocks from the autosecure
filters.

I think the last time this was hashed out here, there was a consensus
that Cisco should not be promoting a feature that uses a static list for
blackholing. The problem is with now-good-bogons bad enough as it is,
even with a presumably competent admin responsible for the setup.

Perhaps Cisco could couple this with a scheduled scp to a server of
choice, preferably Cisco's,  for an update checking feature. At that
point I would think perhaps it has a bit more + than - to it.

At any rate it should NOT be tied to IOS images, the vast majority of
those never get upgraded. Make ACLS be able to parse their rules from a
file stored wherever. Just like that new DHCP static bindings from text
file feature.

Joe