nanog mailing list archives

Re: domain hijacking - what do you do to prepared?

From: Lou Katz <lou () metron com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:18:20 -0800

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:57:08PM +0000, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

Gadi,

The question that comes to mind is - what do you do to be prepared?

Well, for a start you can put a comment into the ICANN comments on
the new xfr policy. I did earler today. Next, you can, as some today
did, decide that cache trumps authority under some conditions, and
ensure that cache is controlling when some conditions exist.

There are so many structural things wrong with the mechanisms this is
about like asking how to write cat in perl.

I suppose that other than setting registrar lock in place, there is
another thing one can do.

As soon as I saw the new transfer policy, as an OpenSRS reseller, I locked
ALL the domains registered through me. I assumed (apparently incorrectly)
that most resellers did the same. But, being a very leaf node, I do
know ALL my customers, and they all agreed with my LOCK maneuver.

In terms of mechanism, this just undoes the latest change in xfr
policy in the ICANN gTLD market. Instead of opt-in-after-nack-delay
you go back to opt-out-after-nack-delay. It is a rational choice,
but since it is, you (plural) know that your interests were not the
controling ones when the policy change was debated.

YUP

There are edge-case registrants who are benefited by opt-in, but if
most of you (plural) opt-out, then the change in policy that affects
registrants, must either be an error, or benefit some parties other

Ahh - who?

--
-=[L]=-