nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tracking spoofed routes?

From: Nick Feamster <feamster () lcs mit edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:39:49 -0500

You can also see:

http://bgp.lcs.mit.edu/

which has a searchable archive back to 2001 for several feeds.  We're
always interested in getting more feeds from folks to make this
searchable archive more comprehensive.

thanks,
-Nick

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:06:17AM -0800, David Meyer wrote:

      Kevin,

I am seeking avenues to investigate a possible case of IP address spoofing.

I've recently received complaints which suggest that in the recent
past (but not right now), somebody may have announced a more specific
prefix, effectively hijacking "unused" address space within our
allocated range.

As it happens, the address space is not unused, just not visible on
the public Internet.

I am aware of route reflectors and other options to manually review
what prefixes are currently announced, but have not been able to find
a *searchable* archive of historical data, either overall BGP tables
or just "unusual" announcements.  The closest thing I've found so far
is Route Views (http://www.routeviews.org/), however there is no
obvious way to search the (huge) archived data files for substring
matches?

      We're involved in trying to build database front ends for
      the data so you can do just this sort of thing. But right
      now, we're a little stuck. One thing you might try is
      using BGPlay to watch what happens to your prefix.

Alternately, are there any existing mechanisms for monitoring route
announcements which can provide near real-time alerting when any
prefixes within specific subnet ranges are announced?

      Not that I know of. You can log into
      route-views.routeviews.org and use the cli to watch it,
      but that is a manual process.

      Hope this helps,

      Dave