nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Cidr Report

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:58:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Philip,

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Philip Smith wrote:

Quite often many service providers are de-aggregating without knowing it. They
receive their /20 or whatever from the RIR, but they consider this to be 16
Class Cs - I'm not joking - and announce them as such to the Internet. I spend
a lot of time getting these folks to announce aggregates, but it is hard work
convincing people that this will even work. Even if the RIR recommends that
they announce their address block, they still consider it as Class Cs - even
Class Bs for some big allocations. :(

this is getting into what i was implying earlier.. you have wider experience
than me - would you agree that most of the poor deaggregating is not intentional
ie that they're announcing their '16 class Cs' or historically had 2 /21s and
dont even realise they could fix it.. that applies to medium and large providers
too reading this list - how often do they actually check what prefixes they are
sourcing, from my recent work at a couple of european IXes i had a number of
folks email me offlist as they hadnt realised til I sent out an email they had
deaggregation and once it was pointed out they just fixed it.

so to repeat my earlier suggestion - if transit providers, particularly the
larger ones setup scripts to notify their customers daily/weeks of routing
deaggregation do you think we might gain some traction in educating and fixing
this?

Steve