nanog mailing list archives

Re: Compromised machines liable for damage?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:33:09 -0500

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 11:17:11PM -0500, Barry Shein wrote:

To beat a dead horse just a little harder the problem I have is when a
certain company kept distributing software with security flaws
specifically because they're profiting from those flaws.

For example, graphics libraries which accept binary code chunks to be
executed in kernel mode without limits for support of quick screen
updates in games considered of marketing importance. Blaming it on the
games vendors seems inadequate, particularly over several years and
releases of each.

That's just pure economics and, hence, profiting on others' serious
pain.

And yet, I'd bet $10 that:

* They know this.
* They are just implementing what their customers demand.
* They accept that allowing direct access in order to obtain performance
  at the experience of security is a necessary model in a wide variety of
  situations, particularly gaming.
* They don't give a flying crap what a bunch of perceived whining kooks on
  NANOG think about that tradeoff. God knows, I wouldn't. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras