nanog mailing list archives

Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:52:25 -0600 (CST)

From owner-nanog () merit edu  Sat Dec 10 06:58:38 2005
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:57:34 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Subject: Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless
 anti-virus )

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

Please remember people..

RFC 2821 states explicitly that once the receiving server has issued a
250 Ok to the end-of-data command, the receiving server has accepted
responsibility for either delivering the message or notifying the sender
that it has been unable to deliver.  RFC2821 also says that a message
MUST NOT be dropped for trivial reasons such as lack of storage space
for the message.  To that end is a detected
virus/trajan/malware/phishing scam etc... a trivial reason to drop the
message?

Personally I believe that not trivial means not unless the entire server
crashes and disks fry etc...  To that end I am a firm believer that
malware messages SHOULD BE rejected at the end of the data command

rfc2821 was written prior to this problem

Systems which 'silently discard' virus-infected messages for "policy" reasons
are not in violation of RFC 2821, nor even the obseleted 821.

"Delivery" of a message does NOT require that the message hit a person's "in
box".  Trivial proof: mail to an 'autoresponder'.

'Delivery' of any message is handled in accordance with 'policy' established
at the receiving site.  If policy dictates that that message be routed to the
bit-bucket, rather than to the user's mailbox, that message *IS* considered
'delivered', within the context of RFC 2821.

we should also take the rfc in context and differentiate between email sent
between individuals for which the responsibility applies, and email generated by
systems (spam, virus bounces) in which we the providers carry some
responsibility to drop them (okay, it would be better if they didnt exist in the
first place, but thats not reality) if they can be identified in the best
interests of the user

to not do this is like saying we have a responsibility to ensure end to end
delivery of packets in a DoS attack just because the rules governing routing and
ip stacks dont explicitly cover the use of sinks and filters.

Steve